Sunday, March 20, 2011

What is the point of a snack?

It was a nice break from the ordinary this past basketball season when we didn't have "snack duty" after games.  But, alas, the reprieve was short lived.  We're into baseball season and yesterday we had our first of two snack duties (luck of the draw).

I just don't get the point of providing snacks after little league games.  Are they really that hungry after a 75-minute game?  They each have water in the dugout during the game, so do they really need juice, too?  If the reason they are playing the game is to get the snack, then maybe they aren't playing for the right reasons. 

Inevitably there is a game when someone forgets to bring their assigned snack and I am always shocked at the number of kids that are indignant, asking "where is the snack?"  Even better is the parent that brings the meal for a snack - juice, sweet, chips.  Never mind that it's usually right before or after lunch/dinner.  Is this a new competition?  Are we being judged by the quantity of our snacks?

The only time I remember getting a snack when I played growing up was when we got orange slices after our soccer games and that may have had something to do with the fact that we were the Orange Crush. 

Hopefully my children aren't embarrassed by the snacks I bring.  I really would like to boycott the whole event, but I do break down and provide a juice and something small - like a bag of fruit chews.  What's funny is that as they're getting older, some of the kids have to be chased down to give them their snacks (my daughter, in her sense of fairness, had to make sure everyone got some).

Can we PLEASE band together and do away with this silliness?  Of course, if you have an argument supporting the frivolous tradition, by all means, post away.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, where do I start?

    This falls in line with the "everyone gets a trophy" line of thinking. Sports are about competition and learning to work as a team. It is NOT a social event. The snack is just silly. I had no idea this was being done in such a regimented fashion- and for AFTER the game. Huh? We had gatorade and water during the game. My parents would usually swing by Busy Bee on the way to the field to get some bubble gum. But we did not feel the need to supply everyone's bubble gum needs. Some like grape, some like lemon lime, some Bubblicious and some Hubba Bubble. Arghh. Everyone had their own favorites. IF there was a post game gathering, some of the families went to Dairy Queen. But it was not planned and was considered much more of a TREAT when it did happen. We came out well nourished, not lacking of self esteem, and I think much better adults because of the teamwork and work ethic we built through sports- the competition! You may not watch one of my favorite tv series, Everybody Loves Raymond, but there is an episode about this very issue. Ray and Debra are assigned a game to bring the snack and it has to be from the "approved" list of snacks. Debra rebels and brings an unapproved snack and the mocking of the snacks in sports is priceless.

    That's my opinion. Sports are for team building, exercise, and work ethic.

    ReplyDelete